We appreciate your interest in being a part of the Fairfield County District Library. Applications are available at the Circulation Desk of any Fairfield County District Library location or you can download an application.
Library Assistant III (LA III)
Department: Adult Services
Pay: $12.10 per hour (180 day probation)/$14.61 per hour thereafter
Immediate Supervisor: Coordinator of Adult Services
Position: Bargaining Unit
To work as part of a team to provide the highest quality of public library service. In particular, by providing excellent customer service, including: answering basic directional questions; helping customers locate materials in the library; helping to maintain orderly collections of materials in a variety of formats; assisting customers with library equipment such as copiers, the online catalog, microform equipment and PCs; providing reader’s advisory service; and answering and directing phone inquiries.
High school diploma or GED required. Experience in school or public library setting desired.
General skill requirements:
- To work a flexible schedule that includes nights and weekends.
- To possess strong public service orientation and provide excellent customer service.
- To be dependable and punctual.
- To be enthusiastic, flexible and energetic.
- To possess good organizational skills.
- To possess basic keyboarding skills and a basic understanding of Microsoft Office applications.
- To work harmoniously with the public and with other staff members.
- To maintain composure in stressful work situations.
- To follow both written and verbal directions and pay attention to detail.
- To possess good oral and written communication skills.
- To stand for extended periods of time; to lift up to 35 lbs.; to push heavily loaded carts of materials weighing up to 300 lbs.; and possess physical agility and strength to bend and reach.
- To read, write, speak and understand the English language fluently.
Specific job requirements:
- To perform clerical tasks with speed and accuracy.
- To understand and endorse the FCDL’s policies and procedures.
- To learn the FCDL’s automated circulation system and online catalog, as well as operate other computers and equipment including copiers and the telephone system.
- To greet and assist library customers, both in person and over the phone, with basic directional questions and refer them to appropriate service desks.
- To assist customers in locating materials in all formats within the library and referring customers to basic reference sources for general information needs.
- To know when to refer customers with detailed inquiries to reference librarians.
- To assist customers who wish to place holds on specific titles including assisting with Interlibrary Loan activities.
- To pull and process materials on reserve.
- To assist customers with the use of copiers, PCs, the online catalog, microform equipment and other library databases and equipment.
- To possess a thorough comprehension of alphabetical and numerical sequences.
- To distinguish various color and genre labels and sort materials into categories.
- To sort and shelve library materials in a variety of formats and properly shelve library materials which are out of place.
- To maintain neatness in the department including dusting shelves, cleaning soiled covers and helping maintain the audiovisual collection.
- To shift books and other library materials when necessary.
- To maintain confidentiality of customer records and accounts.
- To utilize knowledge of the collection to provide reader’s advisory service to customers of all ages.
- To prepare displays and other decorations in the branch under the supervision of the department heads.
- To plan and conduct programs and outreach for teens and adults under the supervision of the department manager.
- To be responsible for various department projects and activities as assigned.
- To assist in collection maintenance under the supervision of the department heads.
- To work in other service areas as the need arises.
Completed applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org; mailed to Administration, 219 N. Broad Street, Lancaster, OH 43130; or dropped off in the Administration Office from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. While applications are always accepted, first consideration will be given to those received by Friday, August 12, 2022. Fairfield County District Library is an EEO employer.