Welcome back to the library!
All library locations will begin in-person library service on Tuesday, July 7.
The Fairfield County District Library is implementing a phased reopening plan based on guidelines from state and federal government and health officials. We have put enhanced protocols in place to help support the safety of our customers and library staff.
Hours of Service
Beginning July 7, all library locations will be open to the public with reduced operating hours.
Hours at all locations will be:
Tuesday: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Wednesday: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Thursday: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Friday: 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
The library is operating with reduced hours because of reduced staffing levels. The library receives a majority of our revenue from the Public Library Fund at the state level. This fund is primarily made up of money from sales tax, income tax, and commercial activity tax. These sources of revenue have been severely impacted by the current health crisis.
Please be aware that things will be different when you return to the library. Some of the safety measures that we are putting in place:
- Staff will be required to wear face coverings.
- Face coverings are strongly recommended for customers.
- All service points will have protective barriers in place.
- Hand sanitizer will be available for staff and customers.
- Everyone is asked to practice physical distancing, remaining 6 feet from others at all times.
- There are no in-person programs or meetings scheduled at this time.
- All toys and activities have been removed from the Early Literacy Centers and put in storage.
- Furniture has been arranged to promote social distancing.
- Additional cleaning/sanitizing of surfaces and high touch areas during open hours.
- Maximum capacity at all library locations will be at 50% or less of fire code.
All locations are accepting returns through their book drops. Materials are being isolated for at least 72 hours before being checked in, so items may remain on your account longer than normal. The library is fine free so you do not need to worry about fines being assessed for this extra time.
All library locations will continue to offer curbside pickup of holds. Curbside pickup will be available during the hours of service listed above. When you arrive at your library location, look for the curbside pickup sign, park, and call the library branch. Staff will deliver your holds to the trunk of your vehicle. For more information please visit our Curbside Pickup page.
Approximately half of the public Internet computers will be available for use, in order to comply with social distancing guidelines. Because of the limited number of public computers, individuals will be limited to a maximum of two hours of computer use each day. All computers will be cleaned between users. Customers will have the ability to print, photocopy, scan documents, and fax documents.