Library Assistant III
Department: Adult Services
Hours: Part time, 20 hours per week
Pay and Benefits: $15.34 per hour. Paid holidays, earned sick leave, vacation, personal leave, and OPERS.
Immediate Supervisor: Coordinator of Adult Services
Position: Bargaining Unit
To work as part of a team to provide the highest quality of public library service. In particular, by providing excellent customer service, including: answering basic directional questions; helping customers locate materials in the library; helping to maintain orderly collections of materials in a variety of formats; assisting customers with library equipment such as copiers, the online catalog, microform equipment and PCs; providing reader’s advisory service; and answering and directing phone inquiries.
High school diploma or GED required.
Experience in school or public library setting desired.
General skill requirements:
- To work a flexible schedule that includes nights and weekends.
- To possess strong public service orientation and provide excellent customer service.
- To be dependable and punctual.
- To be enthusiastic, flexible and energetic.
- To possess good organizational skills.
- To possess basic keyboarding skills and a basic understanding of Microsoft Office applications.
- To work harmoniously with the public and with other staff members.
- To maintain composure in stressful work situations.
- To follow both written and verbal directions and pay attention to detail.
- To possess good oral and written communication skills.
- To stand for extended periods of time; to lift up to 35 lbs.; to push heavily loaded carts of materials weighing up to 300 lbs.; and possess physical agility and strength to bend and reach.
- To read, write, speak and understand the English language fluently.
Specific job requirements:
- To understand and endorse the FCDL’s policies and procedures.
- To perform clerical tasks with speed and accuracy.
- To learn the FCDL’s automated circulation system and online catalog, as well as operate other computers and equipment including copiers and the telephone system.
- To greet and assist library customers, both in person and over the phone, with basic directional questions and refer them to appropriate service desks.
- To assist customers in locating materials in all formats within the library and referring customers to basic reference sources for general information needs.
- To know when to refer customers with detailed inquiries to reference librarians.
- To assist customers who wish to place holds on specific titles including assisting with Interlibrary Loan activities.
- To pull and process materials on reserve.
- To assist customers with the use of copiers, PCs, the online catalog, microform equipment and other library databases and equipment.
- To possess a thorough comprehension of alphabetical and numerical sequences.
- To distinguish various color and genre labels and sort materials into categories.
- To sort and shelve library materials in a variety of formats and properly shelve library materials which are out of place.
- To maintain neatness in the department including dusting shelves, cleaning soiled covers and helping maintain the audiovisual collection.
- To shift books and other library materials when necessary.
- To maintain confidentiality of customer records and accounts.
- To utilize knowledge of the collection to provide reader’s advisory service to customers of all ages.
- To prepare displays and other decorations in the branch under the supervision of the department heads.
- To be responsible for various department projects and activities as assigned.
- To assist in collection maintenance under the supervision of the department heads.
- To work in other service areas as the need arises.
Applications can be emailed to email@example.com; mailed to Fairfield County District Library, c/o Leslie Yost, 219 N. Broad Street, Lancaster, Ohio 43130; or dropped off in the Administration Office Monday through Friday between 10 am and 4 pm.