Library Assistant III – Johns Memorial Branch
Branch: Johns Memorial Branch, 116 E. High St, Amanda, OH
Hours: Part time, 20 hours per week
Pay and Benefits: $15.34 per hour. Paid holidays, earned sick leave, vacation, personal leave, and OPERS.
Immediate Supervisor: Branch Manager
Position: Bargaining Unit
To work as part of a team to provide the highest quality of public library service. In particular, by providing excellent customer service, including: keeping customer accounts up-to-date; answering basic directional questions; helping customers locate materials in the library; helping to maintain orderly collections of materials in a variety of formats; assisting customers with library equipment such as copiers, the online catalog, and PCs; providing reader’s advisory service; assisting with programming, outreach and displays for customers of all ages; and answering and directing phone inquiries.
High school diploma or GED required. Experience in school or public library setting desired.
General skill requirements:
- To work a flexible schedule that includes nights and weekends.
- To possess strong public service orientation and provide excellent customer service.
- To be dependable and punctual.
- To be enthusiastic, flexible and energetic.
- To possess good organizational skills.
- To possess basic keyboarding skills and a basic understanding of Microsoft Office applications.
- To work harmoniously with the public and with other staff members.
- To maintain composure in stressful work situations.
- To follow both written and verbal directions and pay attention to detail.
- To possess good oral and written communication skills.
- To stand for extended periods of time; to lift up to 35 lbs.; to push heavily loaded carts of materials weighing up to 300 lbs.; and possess physical agility and strength to bend and reach.
- To read, write, speak and understand the English language fluently.
Specific job requirements:
- To perform clerical tasks with speed and accuracy.
- To understand and endorse the FCDL’s policies and procedures.
- To learn the FCDL’s automated circulation system and online catalog, as well as operate other computers and equipment including copiers and the telephone system.
- To greet and assist library customers, both in person and over the phone, with basic directional questions and questions related to circulation services.
- To possess a thorough comprehension of alphabetical and numerical sequences.
- To distinguish various color and genre labels and sort materials into categories.
- To sort and shelve library materials in a variety of formats and properly shelve library materials which are out of place.
- To prepare teacher collections as needed.
- To maintain neatness in the branch including dusting shelves, cleaning soiled covers and helping maintain the audiovisual collection.
- To assist customers in locating materials in all formats within the library and referring customers to basic reference sources for general information needs.
- To know when to refer customers with detailed inquiries to reference librarians.
- To shift books and other library materials when necessary.
- To pull and process materials on reserve.
- To prepare, sort and check in deliveries.
- To perform a wide range of circulation duties including emptying book drops, checking in materials, checking out materials to customers, keying customer information into the library database and checking shelves for overdue materials.
- To accurately perform cash transactions and accountability for fees, etc.
- To maintain confidentiality of customer records and accounts.
- To maintain branch operations in the absence of the branch manager utilizing support from FCDL supervisory staff as needed.
- To plan and conduct programs and outreach for customers of all ages under the supervision of the branch manager.
- To utilize knowledge of the collection to provide reader’s advisory service to customers of all ages.
- To prepare displays and other decorations in the branch under the supervision of the branch manager.
- To be able to perform other similar tasks as assigned.
Applications can be emailed to email@example.com; mailed to Fairfield County District Library, c/o Leslie Yost, 219 N. Broad Street, Lancaster, Ohio 43130; or dropped off in the Administration Office Monday through Friday between 10 am and 4 pm.